April 8, 2008

Update on Mom, Dad, the three Mexicans and me

Yesterday we explained to Barb the hospice nurse that it was becoming too difficult for us to bathe Mom. Barb set up an aide to come twice a week to bathe Mom. Today Lawanda showed up and she was awesome. Mom's first words to her were "You're beautiful!" She really is beautiful and I was shocked when she told us her oldest is 18 years old. She was able to get Mom in and out of the tub and give her a really good bath, which Dad and I were not sure she would be able to do. We were really grateful, and Mom was glad to be clean.

Yesterday when I got home from the store, Dad told me that there were three Mexicans in the garage. Sure enough, when I got out of the car, I could hear them talking Spanish, too. Dad had been moving some boxes that Lori had packed, and dropped one of them on the floor. Apparantly, it has a radio on the bottom of it which switched on when the box was dropped. Dad said that eventually the batteries would die out, but I think it could be a long time. They have been chatting and singing in Spanish for over 24 hours now, and Dad and I crack up everytime we go into the garage. I'll probably eventually figure out which box it is and dig out the radio, but for now it is good comic relief.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,
I'm thankful you had a safe trip to N.C.Sorry you had a long pitstop though. I really appreciate your keeping us informed with your mother's condition. We're all praying for you here, "the elders".I can just paint a picture in my mind of you lying in bed with your mom. That is a sweet bond you two have. It reminds me of 1 Corinthians 13:13. Whatever you do, do in love. Your love for your mom is eternal Jill.
God bless you,
and all the Mexicans!
Bob from FFC

Anonymous said...

Dear friends in NC. How much we love you and pray for you all. I know that there is a huge welcoming committee just on the other side of that tunnel and I'm here to tell you that that bright light is not a train coming. Please kiss her dear face and tell her how much her friendship has meant to me through these past many years. Laura